Saturday, March 12, 2005

Over the Rainbow

Yes, I am alive!
The last few days have been quite an experience. So, the Kepler Track is in Southern New Zealand and forms a large loop through some incredibly varied and majestic terrain. I started out walking along the shore of beautiful Lake Te Anau, which turned into marshland and then into a very old forest with some huge trees (actually the same one used in various Lord of the Rings scenes). After a couple of hours the climb began, and kept going over 1000M until I came out into the windswept peaks of the Mt. Luxmore area. At this point the wind got nuts and the rain was no longer blocked by the trees. As I turned my head away from the wind I looked down and saw a huge rainbow - below me! It was brilliant. I had finally entered the land of Oz or wherever it is that is "somewhere over the rainbow." Got some good pics of that.
Each night I stayed at these National Park Service Huts, which provided shelter and even had stoves in a big room where everybody cooked their food. It was a pretty cool atmosphere because there were about 50 other people doing the track and we would hang out each night in the shelters. That night the temps dropped well below freezing and I was a bit chilly in my rented sleeping bag. However, I certainly wasn't expecting the day that came next.
I walked out on Day 2 into winds gusting well over 100Kph and temps of -14C (yes, factually recorded by the Rangers). Of course, it would too easy without constant rain, sleet, and hail, so we had that too. What was I wearing? Oh, just what you would expect: my light rain jacket, some semi-waterproof pants, and running shoes. I was passing over some of the best scenery in NZ, but I couldn't see any of it as the visibility was only 20M or so. Though a couple times as I crossed over these fantastic knife-edge ridges the visibility openned up just a tad and I got the mere suggestion of the beauty I was surrounded by. But then the wind would howl and the mountain would try to throw me off so I had to crouch down and run for it. There were two makeshift shelters and I stopped in the first one to eat a powerbar, but stopping let me get way too cold. I ended up moving hard and fast for five hours with only one five minute break. And I didn't get some of the pictures I wanted because by halfway through my hands didn't really function and I couldn't push the buttons. It would indeed be an understatement to say I was glad to get to the next Hut. It was a good experience, but not one I will knowingly repeat soon (Paul, worse than Mt. Baldy). Those times are good though, when you can find out if you can take the worst nature can give you and beat it.
The next day, I decided to hike the third and fourth days worth and finish up the trek. It was decent weather though and it was a very nice walk, and I had a great time that night getting together with the friends I met (Isrealies are awesome). All in all, I ended up going almost 60 km in three days, which as I write it, sounds like a lot and it makes sense why it hurts to walk today.
Tomorrow I get on a plane for Hawaii, and that sounds very nice right now. I love New Zealand though and definitely want to come back. The people are great, especially Dave the bus driver who I talked with for two hours today, and the natural beauty is magnificent.
Good on ya!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Hassell said...

And GO HEELS!
It's always a good day when they beat Duke!!

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

13Mar05: 21:21

JonD,
Unfortunately, UNC lost to Georgia Tech in the semifinals and Duke won their match. I don't know who won the final today.
Sounds like your hike was not much different that the conditions endured by the Hobbits. I was wondering: Is antibacterial underwear warmer than standard pro-bacterial garments?
I suppose you are near the end of your flight back to Sydney and on to Hawaii. Hope the weather is awesome.
I love you, my son
Dad

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aha! now we know why you really wanted to go to new zealand, you're following in orlando blooms footsteps! (or elijah wood, if you prefer) thats pretty sneaky of you... just kiddin' have fun, mary cate

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I was on the hunt for Orcs, M.C. They're so cute and loveable!

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan, (I'll still never be able to call you JH)...
It sounds like you are having an amazing trip! I am so jealous of you! I love reading this and I hope you have a great time in Hawaii. My tennis team is going up to Durham next week to play. Go Duke though...haha! You're in my prayers!
-Samantha Duggan

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home