Saturday, February 26, 2005

Searching for God knows what

Well, it is quite clear now that this trip is not about places, but people. The main reason I am supposed to be going these places is to interact with the people God brings in front of me. It's not as important where I am as who I am with. I suppose that's how our entire lives should be, huh? It really has been amazing the people I have come in contact with.
I thought that 5 weeks of traveling was a pretty long time; but among the backpacker culture it turns out to be quite short with the average being 6 months at least. As you might imagine they are not the "normal" sort of people. By now I believe that they travel mainly because they are searching for something. One reason I like them so much is they have all realized that the answer is not in money and "success." In some form they are searching for the God of the Universe (though most don't realize it); it seems most conversations are quickly turned in that direction and they want to know what I think.
Here's a day in my life: Woke up at 0545, hitched to ferry port, ferry to Koh Samui, taxi to airport, flights sold out, rode on back of dirtbike to Chaweng Beach, walked back and forth between travel agencies (worthless!), sat in an actual Starbucks (only one in Thailand and the best barristas anywhere, except for one Mrs. Hood) waiting for stores to open, chilled on beach, Pad Thai for lunch, elephant trek through jungle to rice paddies, kayaked to private island (it's great being a foreigner, "i couldn't read the sign!"), unbelievably slow shuttle to Na Ton (met nice locals(, pulled up in time to watch the last ferry leave, ate radioactive looking things at wonderful open air market, watched local soccer game on concrete (just like Mexico), came to Internet Cafe, still sweating...
It really is a beautiful place (I think the Aegean Islands have the edge though) and maybe I'll get to the jungle, maybe I won't. I feel very relaxed about it. One thing God is showing me is just, to be; not overstressing about the future . To be present in the present.

I love the comments, keep 'em coming! They make me laugh, especially you Sarah :D

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hassel, I love ya Bro. You made me laugh a lot reading your posts. It's just like you. It's so incredible (and so unreal for me) that you are having all these amazing experiences. It's also really cool of you that it seems you've been most impressed with the people you've met since you've been there. I'm sure they are really interesting. I'm sure it's something like the Peace Corps people Celia and I met when visiting her sister in Bolivia. All very counter culture (at least counter American culture). So you went to a fight, rode on a motor bike, traveled on an elephant (or did I misunderstand that), traveled to a private island, among many other things? Well, I have traveled to the seminary library, starbucks (I bet mine has more options), and the mall. Eat your heart out. Oh, and I also have done my fair share of shoveling snow this past week. Bet you haven't seen any snow over there! Try not to be too jealous. God gives us all our unique opportunities- I'm sure yours will come soon. Seriously man, I am so excited for you. I've thought about you constantly this last week and have been praying for you everyday. Also seriously, all I've done this week is read- it's a reading week for us and so I'm some 1000 pages behind in my reading. Celia and I are doing well though. Thanks for your prayers. This is probably the best way for me to stay in touch, so I'll keep making these posts. Live it up man. I love you brother.

Dave

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JH, keep it real dog. I still hope you are writng that book. But ya man did you feed the elephant peanuts? Have you seen a dying giraffe you know when they die they go mmmuuurrrrr. But ya i bet the pad thai was prettym kick butt (we both know i dont say that) since it was the real thing but hey it is 2:00 in da monnin and i gotsta goes to bed i be goin to church in the morning peace out

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

27Feb05

JonD,
I love it! I'd be going nuts not knowing what you're doing. For Mom and Dad, you're filtering events well.
Just a little cheer you up. This am (Sunday) I took Maverick downstairs to help me find some lost object. Before I hit the last stair, he was in a puppy frenzie diving back and forth over Fletch's pony tail. It was sticking up from the covers and must have looked good enough to eat. He woke up after the sixth high speed lunge and grab. I went back up to tell Susanne about our hilarious adventure, having forgotten what I went down there to find. She said she'd already had the same experience the hour before. Neither of us knew BJ and Fletch were crashed.
Keep the fun coming
Remember three things
Dad

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Comcast and I are still not communicating, but I have mastered a new phone, a new alarm clock, and the ATM at Kroger, so now I will try to write my son... It is so good to hear from you often - thank you! I'm sorry it's been so dull there.
We are busy here, living a great life. Paul invited 20+ UT friends to lunch today so I guess we are back in business on Sundays, at least for this year. It was fun- he has great friends!
I talked with 3 CM customers this week who told me how much you had meant to their kids/grandkids this year. I'm so grateful God used you in many lives - and it sounds like He is continuing across the great ocean. Remember whose you are and that you are muchly loved,
Mom

9:44 PM  
Anonymous bdsm forced weight loss stories said...

Angela is not dumb. COLLINS Hello.
erotic erotic stories
bdsm cock slut stories
masturbation stories com
first time masturbation stories
pedo sex stories post
Angela is not dumb. COLLINS Hello.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home