Monday, February 21, 2005

Welcome to Planet Bangkok

Wow!
So after 26 hours in the air with the seatbelt and tray table nazis I thought I would land halfway around the earth. But somehow we ended up on another Planet!? Truly amazing how different things can be.
The first thing that hit me after leaving the ubiquitous airport terminal was the heat, a choking kind of humidity that seems like I'm swimming compared to the winter I came from. The second thing I noticed was the din of car engines and horns. It seems that the subtlety of Thai culture can't fit into the confines of an automobile as they simply trade off mashing the accelerator or the brake. Moreover most of the cars seem to be automatics so that the driver can devote one hand solely to the horn. The third thing I noticed was that I stood out tremendously. It seems that all of the farang (foreigners) on my plane disappeared into their limos and I was absorbed into the organic mass of Thais. I love it! The adventure is barely two hours old and I could spend that same amount of time describing it. However, I managed to haggle myself into a decent "guesthouse" and plan to go slay the demon of jet lag.
God Bless

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thailand Huh? How was that first trip across the int'l dateline? Is wednesday a good day, or should I be on the lookout when it gets here?
I have to say I am sorry I did not know much about your trip, where else are you going? Remember to log every conversation you have with a foreign national. Uncle Sam will be asking you questions in great detail when you get back;-)
THe VA Hassell's

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JonD
Must be awesome to be the only normal appearing Homosapien in a city as large as Bangkok. By the way does that name sound like a term to describe mating roosters or what?
Remember, 3 Things:
I love you, Mom loves you
and God loves you; always,
always, always.
Dad

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home