Monday, March 07, 2005

Celsius, Kilos, what the heck??

I am here now in Queenstown, NZ. New Zealand is amazing. I'm talking take-my-breath-away-oh-now-I'm-choking beautiful! Picture this cool little town perched at the edge of a brilliantly blue lake that is nestled among 14,000 ft. mountains (or 4500 meters). It is known as the "adventure capital of the world" and is absolutely full of insane things to do. So of course the people who live here are very cool. They love to explore the creation and there is are at least two outdoor stores on every block (I'm really not kidding). So obviously, it's my kind of place! There is a thriving downtown area on the waterfront and even a little gravel beach. Right in the middle of the town there is a park extending on a penisula out into the lake that I'm getting ready to go explore. I was actually booked to go hanggliding right now but the clouds are really low so up on the mountain it is socked in- maybe later. I was also hoping to do the world's 2nd highest bungy jump (140M (Paul already has the highest!)) off of a gondola but they hang you by your ankles and I sprained mine recently, when they said it wouldn't be a good idea as I was going hiking tomorrow I decided on the hanggliding. Speaking of hiking, tomorrow I'll start on the Kepler Track, which the locals say is the best one in NZ. It's a four day trek, so you won't hear from me till the 12th. But I'm sure I'll have much to talk about and some great pictures to show later. And by the way, I rented a digital underwater camera on the reef so I've got 100 great pictures of it too!
Here's something that I'm rather confused about: the friggin' Metric system! They told me it would be about 9 degrees Celsius or so in the mountains. But I thought that was a lot warmer than it is (I just bought a sweatshirt and gloves). I was thinking that the conversion was about 3.5 X Celius + 32, but now I'm thinking its more like 1.8 x Cel + 32. Anybody know? All I know is that 25 degrees feels pretty good and 15 is chilly with a 140 KM wind (that's what they clocked the wind at yesterday!!) Let's get some Metric conversions coming this way...
And just make a note that I personally think we should switch to the Metric system as frankly it makes much more sense and we are the only country left on the Earth that is clinging to the traditional system. If you want to feel like a New Zealander go around and tell everybody you meet this week, "Cheers, mate"
I'll talk to you in five or six days,
Cheers mates!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

07Mar05 22:56 hrs EST
08Mar05 15:07 hrs NZ-Lord of the Rings Time
JonD
Can't wait to see your photos as long as they arrive with you attached.
Somethng seems ary in the temperature recordings you're getting. or else it is not very cold on the mountain. Celsius scale supplanted the Centigrade scale some years ago for an unimportant technical reason. For all practical purposes they are equivalent.

C= (F-32) x 5/9
F= C x 9/5 + 32
So, the estimate of 9 C is 48F
25C is 77F
14C is 57F
[And the nth deg is the police interrogation you get for eating an apple in Singapore]
If I have understood you correctly my comment will be of essentially no benefit as you are already on the trail.
It makes me feel better, to think I contribute.

Now, as to what day it is there? Who knows?
Dad

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jonathan -- i love hearing about your great adventures, i only wish i could do that someday (but i dont think im brave enough). i agree that we should convert to the metric system, and we should have a long time ago. good luck on your travels. The Birmingham Hassells will be praying for you!

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

11May05: 23:39

JonD,
Our joy in seeing your many travel dreams become reality, is almost equal to the pain of your absence (maybe 2.09 joules, or is it ergs, difference one way or the other)
Susanne's good friend and counselor, Julie Johnson (from Columbia Seminary) is visiting for a few days. I'm glad to finally meet her. She is truly an amazing persona.

Continue to fulfill your dreams
Dad

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs D would be proud.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Hassell said...

I do what I can to make Mrs. D proud, that's really the whole reason I do what I do

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home