Sunday, November 11, 2007

Welcome to Fighter Country

Well I’m here at Langley now! I showed up at my new base in the dark of night. As I wound my way past the huge shadows of nondescript buildings I wondered what kind of place this would be and what I was in store for here. Finally pointed in the direction of the visiting officer’s quarters I found myself on a road looping around the runway with a blank darkness on one side. After a bit I realized that this darkness was actually a beautiful view of the Chesapeake Bay. So, I stopped and enjoyed the quiet and beauty under the stars for a bit before moving on. How often is it that peering through the curtain of the unknown, things appear dark and opaque when I’m convinced that it is merely my/our inability to see the beauty of the promise God gives us in Jeremiah 29:11. There’s a beautiful wide ocean on the other side of the curtain.
The first morning I drove under the sign saying, “Welcome to Fighter Country” with all the jets lined up on the ramp and felt very at home. It is a great squadron of guys and I love walking close enough to touch (and I do) the best fighter jets in the world to get into the office every morning.
Right now though I spend most of my time looking for a house to buy. I think that I found one in a neighborhood that I really like and it will be a great place to call my own.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon D, If you continue this journal and are diligent to copy it to preserve or your family and progeny. WHAT A WONDERFUL GIFT TO THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE AND FOLLOW YOU. NOT TO MENTION HOW MUCH I LOVE SEEING MY SON IN ACTION.


DAD

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home