Friday, October 26, 2007

Yellowstone and Idaho

Well I've been trekking across the country (it's so freakin big) for 5 days now. The highlight so far was stopping up at the Doody's cabin in Idaho. They were great for letting me use it and it was a perfect base for exploring a couple days. I spent the first day up in Yellowstone. At first I'm just driving through and thinking, "okay this is some pretty scenery but why all the fuss?" Then I saw a huge steam cloud as I careened around a corner and soon found out why this place is so special.
There are springs of boiling water sending up floating oceans of steam from their technicolored depths, bubbling pits of primordial ooze like some sort of witch's brew, cones of rock that send up violent jets of water with no warning. And then there's the wildlife: bald eagles carrying huge sticks to build there nest 70ft up in a tree, Elk with antlers larger than my arms spread apart, Grizzly bears gorging themselves for winter, and the mammoth Bison nonchalantly doing whatever it is they do (like just standing in the middle of the road staring at me saying, "What are you gonna do about it?" Did I mention the scenery? I went hiking along the snowcovered rim (guess my knee's doing well) of gigantic Yellowstone Canyon with it's walls dyed every color in the spectrum from the thermal activity and a 300+ ft thundering waterfall at the bottom, and it blew me away.
The next day I went fishing in peaceful rivers winding through fields of fall grass at the foot of jagged snow capped mountains and rivers that crashed through little rocky canyons that other people couldn't climb into. Now would be the point to wow you with stories of all the fish I caught...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home