Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hidden in the Mists

Just getting to Yosemite National Park was an adventure. I had to cross a couple of passes in the Sierra Nevadas which were covered with snow and ice. Even in 4WD and with chains on the tires at one point I simply started sliding down the road totally out of control. After a couple of slow almost graceful pirouettes I lodged in the snow drifts on the side of the road. Deciding it was better to continue than go back I just powered out and kept going. Eventually getting to the main valley I didn't realize I was there because everything above 100 feet was shrouded by clouds. Standing in the Ansel Adams Gallery it was hard to believe that I was actually surrounded by such creations as El Capitan and Half Dome. The next morning the valley was covered in the same conditions, but I decided to hike up Yosemite Falls.
It was incredibly peaceful because I could tell from the amount of snow and lack of prints that no one had been on the trail in a few days. The climb from the valley floor up a couple thousand feet in elevation was surreal. I was traveling in a 50 meter bubble that moved with me along the trail outside of the snow pouring down that was all that I could see. Moreover, I had to be cautious avoiding the flak bursts of snow falling off the tree branches sagging and oppressed by days of snow. When finally one more snowflake broke the camel's back they would shed their load in a miniature avalanche which if it hit you would almost knock you down. You might imagine my surprise and pleasure when I rounded a bend and the clouds had momentarily cleared displaying the highest waterfall on the continent in all its glory. At this point I went off the trail across a snow covered boulder field to get closer to this raging monster. After a few minutes of wonder the clouds closed back in and we were hidden from each other once again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home